Friday, August 14, 2009

Been badgered for eating treats? Check out what happened to one Treat Bashing Doctor!

If you have ever considered secretly enjoying your favorite rich or sweet foods due to ridicule and pressure from others, you might enjoy the article I found in this AM’s Yahoo News: Fla. Doc fired over ‘doughnuts equal death’ sign.

Well it appears that this doctor was putting down the enjoyment of hamburgers, French fries, KFC fried chicken as well as sweet tea. He went too far when he attacked Duncan Doughnuts!

I, for one, was pleased to read this. Normally I am not against folks keeping their jobs, but I have been antagonized enough, both as a large woman and as a smoker. I am sick of being overly and absurdly taxed on cigarettes and was thinking that the cigarette tax would also set a precedent with regard to the future of:

who knows, perhaps they will start taxing saturated fats and sugar by the same rational. Monetarily it is hard to take, plus I feel the threat of having our personal
freedoms
taken away.

In recent years I have enjoyed reading about what would seem to be the French view of enjoying treats and smokes. It appears from reading the books I have enjoyed below, they feel rich foods, in moderation, based largely on what else you ate lately, and are needed, while smoking is a personal choice.

I like Entre Nous: A Woman's Guide to Finding Her Inner French Girl for Debra Ollivier’s writing style and that this book is chocked full of apropos facts, film info, book info, menus, what is in the pantry et al about what I guess you could call the French perspective.

I like Mireillle Guiliano’s story telling, and recipes in French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating For Pleasure

And All You Need to Be Impossibly French: A Witty Investigation into the Lives, Lusts, and Little Secrets of French Women
Which is just and simply fun to read! Well all three are actually

The thing I like best about this French perspective regards to wonderful foods is that you should both eat what we know is good for us, as well as enjoy fine treats too.

To me this makes more sense than slamming fried chicken, desert and what ever your favorite treat foods are. You would not try to live on them anyway, so why the attack! No one should be attacked for selling or eating them! Which is what that doctor was apparently doing, verbally.

But then I see the obesity problem this doctor felt he was trying to wage war against as a problem of;

  • For adults civilized desk jobs, rather than farming or hunting or other hard labor
  • For children; many, if not most, are kept inside, after they finish their homework, because many places, perhaps most, where we live, the school and police ask parents to not let them out without adults to guard them.

I guest this means the opposite of civilization, where the streets and parks are not safe for children. Usually both parents have to work, then there are chores parents must do…This seems a bigger problem to me than a doughnut or two throughout the month.

How do you feel about these issues?

No comments:

Post a Comment